<< Uncategorized  Uncategorized >>

Disclosure: We do not accept advertising and the opinions expressed here are our own. We are not paid to write our reviews or to give our opinions. We will be compensated if you purchase a product described here through one of our links but we in no way allow that to impact our reviews.
guitars3

You keep hearing how easy it is to learn to play the guitar – especially acoustic guitar. And if you read anything on guitar lessons for beginners, they all promise to have you playing quickly and at least passably on a handful of songs. That is why I took the time to compare some guitar lessons for beginners.

How can you sort out the hype from real value? And what method – online or DVD – is better for beginners?

I know so many people who want to be guitar players, too. Every time I play for people, at least one person says, “I wish I could play the guitar.”

But to learn to play any instrument, you have to start somewhere.

I became interested in various guitar learning methods when a friend, who desperately wants to play acoustic guitar, asked for my help. Since I play guitar, I said I’d try to find a course or lessons that I think would be good for beginners. I had a few things I looked for in guitar courses:

• Experienced teachers (professional guitarists as teachers)
  • Course materials with books and videos
  • A reasonable price
  • A money-back guarantee.

Oh yeah, and it can’t be boring! I’ve been looking at several guitar programs and online courses. It takes a long time to look at all this stuff! I ended up with a couple of options and I thought I’d share this info with others, in hopes of saving time, frustration, and purchase mistakes.

After doing some research and comparison shopping, two courses seem to stand out from the others.

Learn and Master Guitar Course

My first choice is for DVD lessonsGibson’s Learn & Master Guitar was created by a reliable company, Legacy Learning Systems. It’s taught by a professional guitar player and teacher, Steve Krenz. I also happen to agree with their motto: quit messin’ around with guitar and learn to play for real! They have a great course of 20 DVDs (plus 5 CDs). If you are trying to get your parents to help pay for guitar lessons, show them this one! It’s got that “official” feel. The course has won several awards in the categories of Education and Use of Music. (Just don’t tell them it’s really fun – make them think it’s like going to college to learn guitar.)

As a player, I like that the course is planned out so you know exactly what to do and what to practice. The set includes videos to see and hear the guitar lessons, plus printed materials for reference note-taking, and exercises; they’ve covered all the basics. They also have jam tracks where you play along with a real band.

Gibson’s Learn and Master Guitar course also has an excellent support community of other students you can join. There’s a student support website with free online support. They promise that if you are not completely satisfied, just return the course for a full refund.

What I like about the DVD method is its professional, yet user-friendly approach, its good production quality, and the fact that you can view it flexibly – on a PC, DVD player, TV, etc.

My second course I like is the Jamorama Guitar course. It’s taken online, so no DVD set is involved. That has its pros and cons. So, what makes this one stand out?

learn-jamorama
Jamorama
met all my requirements and more. The folks who created it are experienced at teaching music lessons and have several successful courses, with this new one for learning acoustic guitar. I like the variety included in their lessons: 44 chapters and 252 pages of lessons you download from online. Taught by Ben Edwards, this course is one of the most popular “learn guitar” courses ever sold on the internet.

Now is a good time to buy and download Jamorama Guitar Lessons, since all these bonuses are free!

• Jayde Musica Pro – Learn to Read Music Game
  • GuitEarIt! – Ear Training Game
  • Advanced Learning Techniques for Guitar
  • Guitar Tuner Pro Software and How to Tune Your Guitar
  • Jamorama Metronome
  • SongPond – Video lessons for your favorite songs

You can try this and if you don’t like it, you get your money back (with no questions asked). And, it looks like a lot of fun.  This course can take you from NO guitar skills to reading guitar tabs and playing songs!

Decisions, Decisions - Both of the courses are great ways to learn to play guitar. Use the links to go read about the features and differences between these two and then decide which is right for you!

Let me recap what you need to decide to get started learning to play guitar:

You want your course on DVDs and CDs to use with or without a computer: Get Gibson’s Learn and Master Guitar.

You want to start right now: Get Jamorama – These lessons and software programs are online and you can download and can start your guitar lessons in the next 5 minutes!

(Get ready for another pun.) Don’t “fret” over all this if you don’t plan to do something about it. But if you don’t try, you will never know. (Hint, hint… stop reading about it and start guitar lessons. You’ll want to thank me if you do!)

Technorati Tags: compare, Gibson's, guitar lesson DVDs, Guitar Lessons for Beginners, guitar video lessons, Jamorama, learn and master, learn to play, online lessons, Play guitar, steve krenz

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 8th, 2009 at 12:00 am and is filed under Guitar Lessons for Beginners. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

16 comments so far

LOL “Don’t ‘fret’ over all this…”

Nice post, man! Keep ‘em coming…
Kyle

June 3rd, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Yeah, couldn’t help the pun… thanks for the comment! I looked at your review site and it’s really great! Did you design it or use a template for that?

June 4th, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Thanks man! I designed it…I just finished testing a bunch of the guitar lessons products and launching the sites last month.

Isn’t it fun being able to help other guitarists pick the best course for them?

Take it easy, and keep keeping it real. =)
Kyle

June 13th, 2009 at 7:52 pm
John

cool website!
nice design!

John

August 13th, 2009 at 10:18 am
John S

I was given a Fender Strat and very interested in using it. Is it necessary to learn on an acoustic guitar first or could I jump right in? which Instructional path would you recommend? Thanks

August 23rd, 2009 at 10:34 am

Wow, that is really great that you were given a Fender Strat. That will work just fine to learn to play guitar on. As far as a recommendation, if you can afford the Learn and Master Guitar course on DVDs then get those! There is a really good Jamorama course that will work for starting on electric guitar here (I mostly wrote about the acoustic guitar course but the original course is good too): Jamorama, the Complete Guitar Learning System

August 23rd, 2009 at 1:20 pm
manai

well……gud website..i hope to find more of it as i explore it even more..its gud after all……..n i must not forget to mention that the get up n the design n all r just awesome….cool actually..thnx..2 b honest i’m one of those people who wishes 2 learn guitar every time they hear someone playing guitar…n really many have told me that guitar is such an easy instrument that one can learn it in a weekend….that also online!!!strange..huh???well i am desperate n serious ’bout learning it now n so i’m checking out nearly all the reliable websites n trying to find the best out of ‘em….u know….plz gimme tips n help me out in realizing my dream of being able to learn guitar so that i may play it at concerts just like a ROCK STAR!!!i look fwd 2 learn guitar playing frm this website itself………………………………..

October 3rd, 2009 at 1:32 am
jmchezz

i like the website! very unique and cool.,

November 10th, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Thanks SOOO much, I really appreciate your comment!

November 10th, 2009 at 11:45 pm
John

Great site! A lot of great content for learning the guitar. Thanks!

January 19th, 2010 at 4:42 pm
Johnny

Fantastic site! Great information on the best courses I believe. Keep it up! :o )

March 10th, 2010 at 4:23 pm
The Guitar Master Girl

What advantage would Jamorama carry if you have to play it in front of the computer?

March 24th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hi Guitar Master Girl:
I agree that having lessons online or downloading to a computer is kind of a pain – though I guess some people go through the trouble to make their own DVDs. Making your own amateur ones usually don’t have good sound and aren’t high resolution video.

March 25th, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Just to add to the discussion about playing in front of your computer real quick:

I’ve found that some of the guitarists I talk to prefer to have the flexibility of playing along with computer/online lessons, and others prefer DVDs and playing in front of their TV.

To me, both have their advantages, and depend heavily on the setup of your rooms. If you have the space in front of your computer, and your monitor/screen is at least 15.4″ (common laptop size), there’s not much problem learning on the computer.

Also, I’ve found it’s really nice to hook up a cheap cable you can buy at Radio Shack or Best Buy so you can plug your laptop into your TV. That gives you the best of both worlds: tons of flexibility with lessons and a larger screen size to watch them…all with easy rewind access.

Have fun learning guitar!
Kyle

August 19th, 2010 at 8:46 am
Linda

Just a quick note – I have used Jamorama and also GuitarStarLessons.com . Both are great for anyone wanting to learn how to play the guitar at their own pace.

October 4th, 2010 at 10:18 am
Alden Strano

The author spoke about many interesting points in this article. I found it by searching Yahoo and I must admit that I already subscribed to the website, it is extremely good (;

December 24th, 2010 at 9:13 am